So one of the things that we tried last year and did okay with was a garden, so this Spring we gave it another go. This Spring unfortunately was a bit cooler and wetter than it was last year, but I think all and all we are doing okay. Overall I like the little bit of a challenge as well as knowing that I grew something I am eating.
This year we planted a few different things, so here here is our list and what seems to be going well at this point. The first set are our new attempts;
- San Marzano Tomatoes (should have limited to one a pot)
- German Johnson Tomatoes (should have limited to one a pot)
- Hungarian Wax Pepper (planted four in a pot and they are going nuts)
- Bush Pickle Cucumber (should have limited one to a pot)
- Definitely plant marigolds with the tomatoes and Hungarian peppers
- Planted the basil with everything should have done it separate
- Killed the marketmore cucumbers, likely either too cold or wet, may try again
We also continued planting the following;
- German Thyme
- BBQ Thyme
- Cilantro (should plant somewhere besides the gutter garden)
- Sage (should plant somewhere besides the gutter garden)
Of course my favorite which are always the strawberries did well, though we never quite get the yield we want. I have a few ideas for next year, but am not sure which to try first. I have seen the 5 gallon bucket planters and am thinking about how I might be able to do this, but in a classy way. I am thinking it would really improve the yield that I would have overall.
Of course our neighbors at the Church have really raised the bar for us. They have Kale, carrots, squash, beans, and a wide variety of other things popping up in their garden it looks awesome and I am happy to see that people are spending time in their garden as well. I am going to post some images in the gallery of how things look.